Re: CD-R Quality?? (No OtR)

>Is there a preferred brand of CD-R for music.  I have used Memorex and am
>happy with the Quality, but am wondering from all of you more "sound"
>qualified if there is a general consensus as to what type of CD-R gives the
>best sound....or if there is no perceivable difference.
>
>out here,
>Barry

There are small differences in sound quality between brands, but unless
you're using a major audiophile setup or serious studio headphones, the
difference isn't much.  The two main differences between brands are
practical things, a) how well the disc works with your burner, i.e. how
each brand is prone to errors in the burning process, and b) the life span
of the discs.  The second issue is the kicker.  As CD-R is still a pretty
new technology, there have been greatly exagerated claims as to the
lifetime of CD-R discs, as no one has really been able to prove their
claims.  However, tests have been run and intelligent guesses have been
made, and basically what has been determined is that the cheaper discs you
can buy at CompUSA and drugstores and Office Max and stuff (i.e. Memorex,
"generic" store brands, a few others, i forget the companies right now) are
of poor quality and are extremely succeptible to damage from being stored
in extreme temperatures, and very prone to scratches and fingerprints and
physical damage.  It is accepted by the anal hippie traders/tapers (who
don't know what day it is, but know a lot about audio) that discs with blue
dye on the bottom are the least likely to last much beyond this year.

Sorry for rambling, here's some relevant info: Almost all CD-R's are made
by 3 different companies, Rytek in Taiwan, Taiyo Yuden in Japan, and Mitsui
(I believe Japan but I could be wrong).  Rytek makes the Memorex discs and
most of the generic store brands, basically any spindle that says "Made In
Taiwan" avoid if you're planning on archiving anything for an extended
period of time.  Taiyo Yuden (TY) has made Sony and Fuji discs, although
I've heard reports about both companies using Rytek or other manufacturers
as well as TY.  Just check the side and see where the discs are
made.  Mitsui's are the greatest things in the world (as are Kodak Ultima's
and Kodak Gold) but they're on the expensive side and to my knowledge
aren't sold in stores (except maybe an audiophile place).  However, if
you're really serious about burning discs, it's the only way to go.

Hope this helps.
-Steve C.