RE: From another conversation...

On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, David Armstrong wrote:
> like i said...."just a quick thought."

I know; my own quick thoughts just tend to go in different directions.  :)

Besides, this is an issue that I've been feeling a tad guilty about ever
since September 11 -- the way that the sort of violence we find so
despicable when practised by the Taliban or al-Quaeda is not only found in
the Christian Bible, but is also endorsed in Sunday schools, etc.  As
kids, we heard stories about God taking King Saul's kingdom away from him
because he wasn't thorough enough in his genocide against the Amalekites,
etc.  So when David Letterman asked, on his first day back on the air, if
it could *ever* make sense to his audience how "religious fervour" could
lead to such atrocities, his question hit me in the gut, because I knew
that it *did* make sense to me, and not just on an academic level.