Sadness - Cross post from VOL List...

Title: Sadness - Cross post from VOL List...

Hi all,

I'm a frequent lurker to the list...sorry I haven't contributed a whole lot lately :\, but I have enjoyed the discussions!  Anyway, this is a copy of a post from Bill Malonee of Vigilantes of Love regarding the status of their band (I know quite a few folks on here are VOL ppl too):

From the VOL-list:

Message: 4
   Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 21:39:29 EST
   From: volmail at aol_com
Subject: Effective immediately: Bill Mallonee's solo career...Kenny along for the ride.

NEWS FLASH!
Bill Mallonee announced the end, at least temporarily, of the seminal
folk-rock band, Vigilantes of Love, this afternoon...and the start of his new
solo career.
In town promoting his new movie, "I married a teenage Christian ghost writer,"  Mallonee waxed enthusiastic: "I am very, very excited about the new songs,

the whole acoustic format and of course playing with Kenny Hutson." Fans of
the band will remember Mr. Hutson's wonderful contributions to the band's
critically acclaimed record, "Audible Sigh."
Speaking briefly to reporters at a Hollywood press conference, the
accessorized Mr. Mallonee, (looking confident and authoritative in an Armani
suit) delineated the reasons for "putting the thing to bed." "2001 was the most strained year of VOL's history...It was a strained year

all over the world. We're still slightly shell-shocked as to how one can sign
a deal, release a record, get great reviews, tour like mad...and go broke in
6 months. It's very complex and i won't bore you with the lurid details, but
suffice it to say that one chapter is over...and another one has begun. I'm
very optimistic about the future...it's a bit of a return to form, eh?" When asked if he thought new changes would bring a new style, Mallonee

proffered:
"It's always been my band from the beginning," he said while looking
wistfully over a dry martini at the Brown Debby Restaurant. "I've always
attempted to build the VOL sound of each record around the creative strengths
of the current members. This particular line-up has been by far and away the
most inspiring and nurturing group i've ever been involved with....but in the
end, it's the tunes that i'm about."

"The formula has always been very basic from the beginning...so whether you
get a folk-rock record like "Killing Floor," a noisy one like "Slow Dark
Train," a shot of country-alt like "Audible Sigh" or a chaser of pop pleasure
like "Summershine,"
it's always been about my songs, a basic acoustic guitar...and a session with
my shrink."

In a rambling, often incoherent line of thought, Mallonee said:
"We've done about as much as one band can do under these conditions both
creatively and economically for the past 3 years and still live to tell about
it..If it weren't for the graciousness of the fans we'd have been history a
while back. 4 guys in a van, without much superstructure around it and no
safety net beneath it, is a formula for demoralization...that''s where things
were heading," he said.

Gesturing to the masses on Hollywood Blvd. Mallonee said:
"Jake Bradley (VOL's Bassist and Exhibitionist) and Kevin Heuer (VOL's
Drummer) are heroes for enduring this ritual we embark on every year of
making a record, touring till we bleed and then wondering what the heck
happened...it can steal your joy. I will miss them andthe joy of the
friendships i've had with them on the road...musically, i think we made some
of the coolest music of the past 4 years...but they (Jake and Kevin) have
looked inside the black bag of reality, so to speak, and can no longer find a
reason to keep on killing themselves. If most people knew how little we get
by on, they'd never pick up an instrument."

When asked if there was a chance of getting VOL back together Mallonee opined, "I'm not ruling anything out...when it's feasible and reasonable i feel sure

that will happen...there was a lot of love in the air when we met this
morning to decide these things...But right now it's myself and Kenny doing
what we do...and let me tell you, it felt pretty fine at rehearsals today!"

Check the site: billandvol.com
for details...on the East coast tour starting tomorrow 1/9/2002....