My New Year's story

After reading everyone's New Year's Eve stories, I figured I'd tell mine.  (Stephanie, sorry that you've already read this; in the interest of time, I just copied and pasted what I wrote you, though I did add a little...)

Our church's student ministry hosts a New Year's Eve party every year for Middle and High School students; it's the largest such gathering on our side of the Atlanta metro area.  We've done so many cool things the last couple of years that we've really set some high standards for ourselves.  We rented an inflatable obstacle course and some arcade-type games (pinball, air hockey, pool, ping-pong, Ms. Pac-Man, etc) and put them all inside our auditorium, and we had a coffeehouse in our children's church loft where we had a really cool, relaxing atmosphere and live acoustic music.  (The closest thing I have to a New Year's resolution is to learn to play the guitar so I can do some of my songs at the coffeehouse next year...)  We also served pizza, hot wings, and snacks.

I'm in charge of the production of our student ministry services, so I had a lot of responsibility.  I have a team of about ten people, some students and some adults, under me who help me juggle the production aspects of all that we do; I couldn't do a thing without them!  At 10:30, we had our Senior High band put on an extremely ROCKIN' set, and a couple of kids gave testimonies, then we counted down to midnight.  After midnight, we shot fireworks; we have a pyrotechnician in our church who donated and shot several hundred dollars worth of professional grade fireworks, and after that we gave away dozens of door prizes.  Counting kids and adults, we had about 500 people there.

This morning, our student ministry leadership team came back to the church to clean up and to play the games a bit more before the rental people came to pick them up.  We had a good time, considering how tired we all were.  I went and got my pictures from the night before developed, and I went to my parents' house where my mom served a delicious lunch of ham, mashed potatoes, corn, blackeyed peas with cornbread, and turnip greens.  After that, we feasted on college football.  That's about it...

Gosh, I better get on to bed, since I start my new job in the morning--and since they're predicting snow down here most of the day tomorrow.  I hope and pray everyone had an incredible New Year and that 2002 brings much grace and richness of life to all.

Chris