Re: proofs and people

peter said:

> Rather than define "stupid" as "Radiohead and
> anything which resembles it
> too closely", or whatever, why not come up with a
> more objective
> definition -- one that has no need of Radiohead for
> a reference point?
>
> Once you've done that, it *may* turn out that
> Radiohead still matches your
> definition of "stupid", and you may be able to
> convince people of that, if
> you and they have already agreed on a definition of
> "stupid" -- but first
> you have to demonstrate to them that you're not

i agree with you, but don't we still run into the same
problem with reference points--even if they seem less
loaded?  everything is a metaphor--right?  which
philosopher had the image of the man with mirrors in a
cave?????

anyway, sign and signfied.  so we orient with
reference points we can work with.  aren't they all
eventually problematic if you keep going deeper.  it's
like the kid who asks a "why" question and after each
answer asks, "why?"

-j. marie