Re: inerrancy vs. infallibility (no otr)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, The Mattrix wrote:

> > . . . one could justifiably say that God, at times, *endorses* and
> > *requires* violence (which may or may not be evil).  Whether he
> > happens to "love" it or not is kind of beside the point.
>
> I agree, but you brought up the notion that God can be seen as
> "blodthirsty, not me. :-)

Well, people don't always love their addictions, do they ...

> >    What if there is no Devil? What if it's just God when he's drunk?
> >    -- Tom Waits, as quoted by Robin Williams in _Live at the Met_
>
> That would explain a lot!  From Flamingo knees to Rob Schneider's
> career...

After quoting this line, Robin Williams then discusses his theory that God
created the platypus as a f***-you to Darwin while he was stoned.  :)

> > > How about this Peter, let's compromise- the whole death AND
> > > resurrection are the climax when taken together.(?)
> >
> > Sure, why not.  :)
>
> Yay!!  My track record with the opposite sex shows I'm no irrestistable
> force, but this shows you are not an immovable object!

Be that as it may, I would like to emphasize that I am *not* of the sex
that is opposite to you.  Just in case there's any confusion.  :)

> However, brother Peter, my heart weeps for you.  I don't care about the
> inerrancy of most of the Bible.  If definitive proof that Jonah never
> escaped from the belly of a whale were to surface, I'd remain unfazed.
> Stories such as that only concern me for the lessons they offer, not
> their degree of veracity.  However, with regards to the life of Christ,
> I HAVE to believe that everything is, well, gospel.  If Christ came to
> earth and said and did a lifetime's worth of sayings and doings, and
> then suffered the ultimate in pain, and it was not all recorded exactly
> as it happened, what was it for?  If it was within His power to ensure
> that it was accurately preserved, why wouldn't he?  (No sense debating
> this, it's just something I personally need to believe in order to
> affirm my worldview.)
>
> My point:  I think reading the (NT) Bible without absolute assurance
> that it is true must be a terrible way to read it.

I used to think that way too, until about nine years ago, but I came to
realize that it made no sense to *avoid* treating the New Testament the
same way I treated the Old.  It took a fairly lengthy, and painful,
process of adjusting my expectations, sure, but it has been worth it.

> To me, that would render the book ALMOST useless, insofar as I'd
> constantly have to question everything.

Well, what's so wrong with *that*?  :)

> Furthermore, I think you do know who Jesus is/was, not just "something"
> of it, as I think the Bible contains all you need to know; the rest
> shall be revealed in the next world.  (What was that Terry Taylor song,
> "Will have to do for now"?)

Absolutely beautiful song, yes.

> > > If I assigned you a career, would you feel free?
> >
> > If it was the right career for me, sure, why wouldn't I?
>
> Okay, how about if I arranged your marriage then??

Y'know, there's a *reason* I like the 'Match-maker' song from _Fiddler on
the Roof_.  :)

> Picked out your clothes??  Ordered for you every time we ate out??

Well, it's not like *I* ever have any good ideas in these departments.
But I would expect to reserve veto power over anyone else's decisions.  ;)

> Speaking of Jean-Luc, don't you think that was the greatest distortion
> in "First Contact"?  He was presented as a bloodthirsty, revenge-crazed
> zealot.  (Kinda like that big meanie the Lord God or sumthin'.)
> Borg-schmorg, THAT was totally out of character.

Except that he acted that way precisely because of his past experience
with the Borg -- experience that must have seriously messed with his sense
of identity.  And in the context of that particular story, the Borg was
about to not only conquer the Earth, but revise existing history.

I think I'd feel a little desperate in a situation like that, and any
chance I had to *defeat* the Borg would give me a vengeful thrill, sure.

> BTW, the only Trek I've seen in it's entirety is "Voyager".  Weep for
> me.  (That's why I'm no Borg expert.)

I shall weep, indeed.  :)