Re: questions i combined (no otr)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001, The Mattrix wrote:

> > I first came up with this idea years ago (back when _The Last
> > Temptation of Christ_ came out in 1988, actually) . . .
>
> My, you really do see EVERYTHING, don't you?

Oh, it's hardly an obscure film!  Especially for one who likes religion
and pop culture as much as I do.  :)

> > . . . because I was trying to reconcile the idea that Jesus was "fully
> > human" with the idea that Jesus was "without sin".  I finally
> > concluded that our sin was what made us less than human -- we were not
> > the humans that God made us to be.
>
> "Less human than human", huh?

:)

> In fact, call me a space case here, but I have a theory.  (Note to self:
> Careful what you ask for.)  You've probably all heard how we use a small
> portion of our brain's total capacity, right?

I believe this is a myth.

http://www.snopes2.com/spoons/fracture/10percnt.htm
http://www.csicop.org/si/9903/ten-percent-myth.html
http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/tenper.html

Etc.

> However, I don't know about the supposition that sin has made us "less
> than human".  I've always regarded sin as the thing that defines our
> human nature as being as apart from God.

Our *current* nature, yes.  But separation from God is not inherent to
human nature, not if the myth of Adam and Eve has any truth to it.

> Which begs the question I've REALLY been wanting to ask you- is "Mr.
> Buechner's Dream" by Daniel Amos truly as marvelous as I've been reading
> it is?  Review, oh critic!!

Well, as you may know, Daniel Amos albums often take a while to grow on
the band's fans, and I am therefore of two minds when it comes to how
quickly and how readily everyone seems to have cottoned to this album.  I
like it a lot, but for me, it's not quite the band's best stuff (which,
for me, would be 1987's _Darn Floor - Big Bite_, followed closely by
1993's _Motor Cycle_ ... or was that a 1992 album?  Anyhoo).