Re: matt's take

On Sat, 29 Dec 2001 JLuvzMusyk at aol_com wrote:
> peter asked:

> > Ever read Philip Yancey's _Disappointment with God_?  I believe that's
> > the book where he says that the central thrust of the Bible -- its
> > overarching narrative, if you will -- is that God *learns* to be a
> > parent.
>
> well, i've never heard of that, but that's kind of the take stephen
> schwartz takes in his musical _children of eden_.

That does it -- I've been thinking of listening to my home-made _Prince of
Egypt_ CD for a few days now, and now that you've mentioned Stephen
Schwartz, I *am* listening to it.  You've influenced me.  :)

I have _Children of Eden_ too, as well as the soundtrack to the stage
version of _Godspell_.  They make an interesting trio.  Curiously enough,
when I reviewed _Children of Eden_ for a Christian newspaper, I referred
to Yancey's book, so it's fitting you'd think of the musical now.

> it takes god a long time (until the time of the flood), but finally god
> learns to be understanding.

Yeah, it's an interesting take on the story.  My main beef with the way
it's handled is that God essentially lets go of humanity ... and that's
it.  As I recall, there's very little recognition that, rather than simply
sever their ties, God and humanity could find a *new* way of relating.