Re: matt's take

hi.  i haven't read much of this thread, but this comment caught my eye.

peter asked:

> Ever read Philip Yancey's _Disappointment with God_?  I believe that's the
>  book where he says that the central thrust of the Bible -- its overarching
>  narrative, if you will -- is that God *learns* to be a parent.

well, i've never heard of that, but that's kind of the take stephen schwartz
takes in his musical _children of eden_.  it takes god a long time (until the
time of the flood), but finally god learns to be understanding.  he sings...

fare thee well, my precious children
in your hands i place the key
to this prison made of gratitude
that has held you close to me
now i find i cannot hold you
until at last i let you be free.

it's kind of the same thing with parents...for years, children are in their
care and then all of a sudden, they do things of which the parents do not
approve, and they leave.  but the parents always (well, not always, i
guess...) accept their children back into their arms with love...

i guess god is like that...but then, i don't really know...

i just thought i'd put that out there...it seemed relevant.

*hugz and kisses*
jessyka