matt's take

hi matt and list,

this was a fun post.  you are _too much_ fun :)  and
even though i need and like to think and work in
proofs, i'll go with helene cixous in one of her more
mystical perspectives later in life: a flute for your
proof! i'm alive, aren't i? (i don't know if it's that
_exactly_--but close).

matt wrote:

Yep, but those people are fools!  God loves violence?
Wouldn't that
make
God evil?  If God is evil, wouldn't we be screwed?

-->well yeah :)  but i'm going to play devil's
advocate for fun: is violence inherently, 100% evil,
biblically speaking or otherwise?  if it were, would
god so feasibly order that whole communities of men,
women, children _and_ their animals be wiped out???
and i doubt it was by lethal injection.

still, i agree with you but for other reasons (which i
already posted).

matt wrote:

I submit that if a normal, reasonable person were to
look upon the
crucifixion image with an honest understanding of the
nature of love, the true meaning would be made
manifest.

-->and i always feel as though i'm still gaining that
understanding.  i've been a christian about 20 years
now (i'm 25), but i'm always peeling back a new layer
of that one :)  and the tension b/w the aspects of the
true nature of god.

you wrote:

Well, being Catholic I've been trained to focus on
suffering!  :-)

--> <snicker, snicker>  'cause yeah.  in 2000 i did
sociolinguistics research in mexico with catholic
prayer as my subject.  you ain't lyin'!

matt:

Sure, I agree completely.  If the Holy Spirit did
everything within
it's
power for everyone at all times Earth would
effectively become Heaven.

-->that's very interesting--i had never put it into
that frame before.  sure, we consider it in another
form believing it possible that life could indeed be
painful and purposed for good.

you wrote:

By calling yourselves "Orthodox" you are somehow
implying that everyone else is somehow "Unorthodox" in
their methodology.  How rude is that?

-->again you had me laughing.  but then i thought,
"but you call yourself catholic" :)  does that mean
the rest of us aren't the universal church?"  oh dear.
 pay no attention to the short girl behind the
computer...

then you said:

Okay...that was a joke! ;-)  Protestant, Orthodox,
etcetera, whatever-
we
are family!

Everybody dance,