Re: inerrancy vs. infallibility (no otr)

So I dip my toes into a conversation between Peter and
J. Marie...

Peter says:
> Given the sheer number of manuscripts out there, I
> find the existence of
> the Bible less miraculous than the existence of, oh,
> the Annals of
> Tacitus.  :)

and then concludes with:

> so, how?  My point here is not to pick individual
> passages apart -- my
> point is simply to underscore the fact that the
> Bible is not inherently
> different from any other text when it comes to
> textual transmission.

I'm too many years removed from my undergrad Bible
courses, but isn't that "sheer number of manuscripts"
inherently different?  I mean, in a relatively short
amount of time we see a proliferation of literature
about this messianic character from a roman backwater
province that's unparalleled, is it not?

Or do I need to go back to school?

Now, if this is the case I'm not trying to draw the
discussion back into that proliferation being
"miraculous."  All I would try to do right now is
claim that it demonstrates remarkable perpetuation and
offers a much larger opportunity for induced changes /
errors (take your pick).  But isn't that unique in
it's scale and timing?

Curiously,

Brian

=====
"What kind of man would live where there is no daring? I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing can be accomplished without taking any chance at all."
~Charles A. Lindbergh, at a news conference after his trans-Atlantic flight