Re: over the rhine in the car?! what a novel idea!

In a message dated 12/26/01 5:49:46 PM Central Standard Time,
JLuvzMusyk at aol_com writes:

<<   i'm now five chapters into _the
 hobbit_, and i saw _lord of the rings_ for the third time last night with my
 friend victor.  *shrug*  i guess i'm obsessed, but there could be worse
 things about which to be obsessed. >>

there's a quote I like though I have no idea who said it: "some call it
obsession, I call it commitment!"

 the best thing, to me, about the movie is that many people like yourself are
getting turned onto these wonderful books.  I've been a fan since the
mid-seventies when you used to see school folders with "Frodo Lives"
scribbled on them in the halls.  They pretty much single handedly made me a
life long fan of fantastic fiction.
   I've seen the movie twice now and my only major complaints were already
voiced here: "what, no Tom Bombadil?!?!"  I can't think of any reason to skip
this entire section of the book -- the forest, the willow, old Tom, the
barrow-downs ... and Lothlorien and Galadrial, while well done, were just too
dark.  Where was all the color and wonder in Lothlorien and Galadriel was
downright angelic in the book.  Surely not a figure of foreboding except
perhaps when she was offered the ring or to Gimli before he met her and
became devoted to her.

  A couple short stories by Tolkien that are fun are *Farmer Giles of Ham*
and *Smith of Wooton Major* and I'd very highly recommend reading his amazing
essay *On Fairy Stories*.  You can find it in *the Tolkien Companion* along
with *Farmer Giles* and the nifty story *Leaf By Niggle* among other things.

kevin

"not all who wander are lost"
JRRT