Re: Christmas in the Imaginary Apple Orchard....

On Thu, 27 Dec 2001 JLuvzMusyk at aol_com wrote:

> dan from michigan wrote:
>
> > but it did snow YAY!
>
> ick.  yeah, when i woke up this morning to go to work i noticed that my car
> was covered.  luckily it was only teasing me, as the roads were fine...it was
> just a dusting.  but i have NEVER driven in the snow before, it's really
> scary, and i came really close to waking up my dad and making him drive me to
> work.
>
> remind me to move somewhere where it doesn't snow, and if it does, where i
> don't live on a really big steep hill.  *sigh*

Wow.  Where did you live before?  Here in fone ol' Illinois, I live for
the days (or night like tonight) when we receive ~1/2 an inch of snow.
Driving around and skidding on purpose is just too fun ;)  I do live in a
small town, though, so there's no much danger of me sliding into traffic
or anything.  I'm being safe, really...

Last New Year my family stayed down in Dallas with my 'rents old college
friends.  (My dad's best friend from school married my mom's roomie.  It's
convenient for them.)  One day I drove out to a little youth group meeting
with the children of both families.  Just as we were heading out, is
started snowing.  There was almost an inch of snow by the time the meeting
was over, and it abolutely paralyzed the Texan drivers.  On the six-lane
highway they were all going 15 to 20 MPH or so.  Being an experienced
winter driver, I was zipping by at 40 most of the way home.  What was
especially entertaining was passing suburban-mommie SUV drivers.  I was in
a little blue Cavalier, they were in their off-road "ready for anything"
vehicles.

Anyhow, snow is fun.  It may seem scary for you right now, but it's a lot
of fun when you get used to it.  Experiment in a deserted parking lot
sometime when the snow is falling.  Try skidding.  Try spinning your
tires.  Test out your anti-lock brakes if your vehicle is so equipped.  If
you don't, get used to what locking wheels feels like.  If you spend a
half hour playing in the snow with your car, you'll be a much more
confident (and better!) driver when you have to handle actual traffic in
snowy conditions.

-Smitty