Re: art or trash?

Sue wrote:
>>The American Heritage Dictionary says that Art is "The conscious production
or
>>arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements or other elements in a
manner
>>that affects the sense of beauty."
>>
>>Pornography is defined as, "Pictures, writing, or other material that is
>>sexually explicit and sometimes equates sex with power and violence."
>>
>>I'm a librarian, I just had to do that. ;o)

Thanks, Sue, I was just about to do that myself.  :)

And it will be the instinct of a half-dozen other people on here, too, I
think, as you're in like-company; there are a number of literary and
English-expert types on here.  (And they're a delight... )

I have been attempting to avoid this thread, simply because much of it is
subjective, and definitive statements can't be made, so there's no point in
arguing, but what the heck...

I will make the statement that *I* think, based on the above definitions and
my own beliefs, that art and pornography are not mutually exclusive.

If we want to leave the dictionary definitions and get into aesthetics,
whether art is, or ought to be, by further definition, edifying is another
good related debate.

Stirring the pot (of paint?)...
Anita