art or trash?

i'll try to send this one again...
Note: forwarded message attached.

http://greetings.yahoo.com

-- BEGIN included message

Matt asked:
> Is it totally unsolvable?  . . . . Ayway, the above
evokes the endless
porn debate- is it art?  I
> myself think x-rated movies generally hold no more a
valid claim to
having
> artistic value  than anybody's home movies, (heck,
much porn is

weeellll, i think we can go into something possibly
more objective than the labels we'd give porn like
"ugly" or "beautiful."  we can ask, "what is art?"
some people think that it's revelation via suggestion.
 the genius lies in the fact that it isn't directly
defined for you...you actually have to experience it.
the artist doesn't rely on clear definition thereby
forfeiting the opportunity to feel/think.  some say
that with a painting, art happens with the viewer's
eye meets the canvas.

keyword: suggestion.  it's not in your face.  it
doesn't elicit a response you can't control.  i hate
to be so direct here (a perfect example of _not_ being
artistic): porn violates all of these principles.  if
an image immediately triggers a response of the sexual
nature in a person, it's certainly _not_ suggestion.
it's too direct.  it leaves behind the heart/mind
time.  there is nothing "novel" or "cutting edge"
about visually representing (realistically...let me
know if the way i'm using that word doesn't make
sense) the favored procreative act.

now, if you elude to it or paint a picture with
metaphors and suggestion (that would be considered
"erotic")--that's different.

have i made you uncomfortable?

still prefering art to...,
marie