Re: pick and choose

On Tue, 18 Dec 2001, Alfred B Johnson wrote:
> But I think "pick and choose" is the wrong phrase.  Ideally, we strive
> throughout our lives for a complete understanding, and our vision,
> hopefully, broadens and becomes clearer as we go.  This process model is
> different from "picking and choosing" in that we are not resigning
> ourselves to misunderstanding or picking only those items that appeal to
> us; instead, we're choosing to try to understand more and more.

Well, there you're quibbling over semantics, and not the phenomenology.
When I say "pick and choose", I'm talking about *all* that stuff -- we all
do it, it's just a question of *how* we do it, and some processes are
better than others.  But first we have to admit we're doing it.

> The "cafeteria Christian" model--the one implied by the words "pick and
> choose"--includes the tendency to say, "Well, I'm really not comfortable
> with that bit of scripture, so I won't acknowledge it"; that sort of
> move is very different from trying to come to grips with the whole of
> scripture.  It's self indulgent and assumes that anything one is
> uncomfortable with is automatically something that God didn't really
> mean.

Granted.  But if some of the food on the menu is unhealthy, why eat it?
Do we assume that *all* the food is *equally* good for *everybody*?

> What's that line from Judges?  "Every man did that which was right in
> his own eyes."  That doesn't work.

And then Israel got a king, and *then* look what happened.  :)