Re: Christian history (No OTR!)

    (begin disclaimer)
Perhaps this would be better asked off-list, as we're digressing VEEEERRRRRY
far from anything OTR-related (and getting into topics that people tend to
take rather personally) but for the sake of continuity, and to solicit
others' opinions as well, as there's more than one interesting viewpoint on
here...
    (end disclaimer)

Don wrote:
>It looks to me more like a bubbling cauldron of different takes on the
>same general theme, out of which (due in no small part to the political
>pressure of Constantine) a single thread was eventually chosen to be
official,

Oh, I haven't touched this stuff in about ten years, since I took
history-and-apologetics classes with a campus Christian youth group.
Thanks for the refresher!  : )

Questions that result:

So what value DO the existing translations of Scripture have?

What of the theory that the sum total of the Bible is God-inspired and
therefore 'reliable' guidance despite the imperfect human alterations that
have been made?

What of other texts (those that make up the Apocrypha, for instance, although
there are others) that didn't make the final cut?  Are they less
God-inspired; did all that filtering through different groups really work to
establish the 'truly' (in the more specific use of the word 'truth') worthy
texts?  Do you suppose any that WERE "inspired" have been lost?

Does/should liberal-Christian doctrine suggest that God has been chaperoning
the changes all along?  How DO intellectual Christians reconcile historical
facts with the requirements of faith?

All too curious, as usual...
Anita