PK, what works, and gift ideas(Was: Where was I??)

In a message dated 12/17/2001 11:47:32 AM Eastern Standard Time,
michael.cade.liv1 at statefarm_com writes:

> and the Promise
> Keeper stuff many of you are bashing.  At over 40 and very secure (as
>  opposed to someone who said to believe that PK stuff you had to be insecure
>  and young) I have to say you have no clue what you are talking about.

Sheesh, I wish people would quote me correctly.

I *actually* said:
>Promise Keepers and the like seem VERY reassuring to people (male and
female)
>who are insecure about their own roles in the world.  Especially young
people
>who are newly on their own, who are just starting to grasp how big the world
>is, how many options are out there, and looking for someone to give them
>rules to follow to help it all make sense.  And maybe if we were all the
sort
>of people who could put blinders on and blissfully follow those rules
>forever, it might work... who knows....

None of that was intended to be "bashing" anything, and I didn't say it was
ONLY appealing to young, insecure people.  Whatever works for you is
terrific, but please don't presume it would (or even should) work for
everyone.  Peter and Don said everything else I was thinking re: this topic
so I'll let it go at that.

Shopping for retired parents who have everything they need:
---Books, if they enjoy reading.  (You can never have too many, if you're a
bibliophile.)
---Photos of oneself and one's family.  (Esp. if they're distant, and don't
see you much...can't hurt to keep the bragging tools up to date for them.)
Along similar lines: photo albums filled halfway with recent pictures.
---A new camera? Some of the digital ones are really dropping in price, and
are much easier to use, if they're computer literate.
---Food gifts: they're consumable, which means they're better than
knick-knacks. Cookie (or veggie or pasta) -of-the-month Club, or Omaha steaks
or one of those Figi's Breakfast in a Basket sort of things, maybe.  Flowers
are good for the same reason: if they garden, sign them up for a
bulb-of-the-month or some such.
---Spa/resort etc gift-certificates: something they enjoy but wouldn't
ordinarily do. Pricey, but you didn't mention a budget.  Along the same
lines: a golf/tennis lesson if they're active.
---Movies (video or DVD), movie theater gift certificates, Blockbuster gift
certificates, a book of movie reviews (siskel and ebert or some such) and
popcorn and candy, all in a great big bowl...
---Ice cream goblets, long handled spoons, an ice cream scoop, ice cream
toppings, and a book of Baskin-Robbins gift certificates...

I dunno... you'd think kids would be easy, but I'm still puzzling over what
to get my cousin's six and two year olds, myself.   My son is almost eleven,
so I'm past that age and it's hard to remember what was exciting for him
then...  Hmm...

Anita