Re: Giambi and Darren Oliver (Absolutely No OtR....)

on 12/15/01 10:14 PM, Budah2004 at aol_com at Budah2004 at aol_com wrote:

> most of us michigan sports fans aren't thrilled, either.  the lions are 0-12
> (i think most people are hoping for 0-16 now that they've gone this far - i
> sure am) and a favorite topic of jay leno.  the last lions championship?
> before the super bowl existed.

Yeah, but they're one of the better 0-12 teams I've ever seen. Like San
Diego last year, they very easily could have 4 or 5 or 6 wins right now, but
lost some close games.

the tigers are perennially embarrassing (and
> i don't even like baseball) and apparently set on proving that their new park
> was a waste of good land and money--and an historical park in tiger stadium.
> i think they've had no more than a couple winning seasons since their last
> championship in 1984.  and despite all their promise, the red wings lost in
> the first round of the playoffs last year--and they're mired in a slump right
> now.

Much as I hate to say it (them being the Wings and all), I still think the
Wings have the best shot this year (but probably only this year, as next
year most of the starters will be collecting social security). And they lost
to a really, really hot team in the Kings. Which almost knocked the
Avalanche off, too.

> oh, and michigan pulled its famous "collapse when the big ten championship is
> in hand" routine.

Yeah. I was really impressed with my ol' Buffaloes this year. But honestly,
all their whining about not getting to play for the national championship is
a little much. I mean, sure Nebraska blows this year (which the Buffs showed
Thanksgiving weekend - a beautiful day), but Oregon has more right to play
for the title than CU does.

> hey, what did happen to the avs?  the last thing i expected to see was the
> avs fighting to get to .500.  are they coming together now, or is it just
> going to be that sort of season?

Not sure. All they lost in the off-season was Bourque and Forsberg (who
might be coming back in the spring). But Blake's been hurt, and they're
really struggling to score goals. Oh well. Can't win every season, you know?
:)>

> go lions, and take the tigers with you,
> -burrill.

Ah, sounds familiar. Go Rockies and take the Nuggets with you...

Layner