Re: yet do not, i would not go

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Alfred B Johnson wrote:

> Re: Parry Farrel
>
> I won't say he doesn't do good stuff, and I certainly won't say that
> he hasn't made good art; but I have a low opinion of his mind as a
> thinking machine.  I've watched him do propaganda for his causes, and
> even if/when I agree in principle, I find his approach frustrating and
> maybe offensive.  Emotional appeals, false dilemmas, strawmen,
> glittering generalities, etc etc etc, propagandistic sins of the quick
> media world, etc etc.  Discuss?

i can't stand being emotioanlly yanked around. it's bad, but when
someone-thing does that, i tend to rebel and completely ignore the cause
they promote.  simply because i don't like appeals couched in sad emotive
terminology.  pet peeve.

if you're going to try convincing someone of something at least use al the
forms of argument. if you can't, then skip the emotive one.  if you
present something right, won't peopel come to their own feelings about the
issue at hand?

i've never read any of his speech things, just came across the article.
slavery is bad regardless, and i can't ignore that however badly he might
promote it.

> "Song"
>
> Go and catch a falling star,
>    Get with child a mandrake root,
> Tell me where all past years are,
>    Or who cleft the devil's foot,
> Teach me to hear mermaids singing,
> Or to keep off envy's stinging,
>             And find
>             What wind
> Serves to advance an honest mind.

this reminds me of a short story/book i read. where in england, there was
magic (what author hasn't written about this?).  and there are people and
mandrakes. the mandrake children grow in the ground and are made of wood.
and live off people's blood (or so the story thinks). there are mandrake
children who live with villagers to get a better start in life, before the
get all woody. it was pretty interesting.

i *really* like this poem.

nice to see you around fredo,

rhys

--