christmas show 2001 <warning: rhyme alert!>

> > Question:
> >
> > Why can't we write in meter for a change?
> > I think the skills are well within our range.
> >

> So maybe we should try to write in rhyme.
> Is there a better way to pass the time?

stop and i mean it.
anybody want a peanut?

i've lurked so long i forgot how to write
but i'll be at the taft on this friday night
so i thought i would send a message declaring
that i will be there, if anyone's caring

there in the sixth row, in the deadcenter seats
waiting anxiously for the musical treats
that surely await us all on that night
with songs that are moving from darkness to light

i'd love to meet listees, go to Uno's so bright
but my band is rehearsing late friday night
for a gig we are doing the following day
and if i'm not there, i surely will pay

so please, if you see someone sitting near you
with feet that are shunning the sight of a shoe
with hair brownish red and a beard (i'm a fellow)
be brave, come on over, and shout at me "Hello!"

i hope this attempt at meter and rhyme
has not been for you a huge waste of time
if so, throw in good dog, and then you can dine
on the splendiferous music of over the rhine

thurman, currently of kent

=====
The world is wilder in all directions,
more dangerous and bitter, more extravagant
and bright.  We are making hay when we
should be making whoopee; we are raising
tomatoes when we should be raising Cain,
or Lazarus."              Annie Dillard