prahzzzuhdee

>>>I hate to be the literature police

:)

Hey don't ya hassle me, prosody copper.
You don't know who yer messin' wit'.

:)

1.
  v         /       v/   v   /        v     /   v      /
Two weeks ago I called my parents' home.

Pentameter, since five footed, and fairly imabic; though "Two" and "I"
are both pretty loud for unaccented syllables.

2.
  v        /v    /      v    /     v    /    /
That's also why I won't be at Taft.
-->> Would have been better as --- >>>>

   v      /  v     /   v    /      v   /   v    /
That's also why I won't be at the Taft

Which, again, would have resulted in a nice iambic pentameter line,
though a heavy hitting one with all the monosyllablic words, which, it
seems to me, come out as unaccented only when next to *more* accented
words.  Some of these feet are arguably spondees (//).

3.
  v    / v   /       v  /    v     /
But if I could, I surely would.

Which is certainly tetrameter.  Maybe iambic.  I never quite trust my
scanning.  I think there are some spondee moments in here, too.

4 and 5.
   v        /     v      /    v   /   v   /   v    /
Why can't we write in meter for a change?
v    /      v     /       v    /     v  /       v      /
I think the skills are well within our range.

A rhymed (and therefore) heroic couplet, both lines with rather strong
first syllables.  Definitely pentameter.

I think we could quibble about my scanning, which is why I went with just
"pentameter" to describe this stuff.  That way we can troche, anapest,
dachtyl, spondee, or whatever, to our heartses delightses.

v  /      v    /           /       /        v    v    /       v    v    /
Over the Rhine makes songs for the dark and the light.    [pentameter
with spondee and 2 anapests]
/       v   v   v  v   /
Linford is in the house;       [dimeter with dactyl and anapest]
/         /         /     v
Rhys said something      [dimeter with spondee (possibly a troche) and
troche]
v    /    v    /
About a mouse.     [iambic dimeter]

The thing about meter is that it has to do with feel.  The words that
make an anapest in one line can make something different in another line.

I'm done playing.  :)

(Did I mention I'm an English teacher?)

prosody,

Fred