Re: Buy Stuff!!!

--- bigLight <biglight at pacbell_net> wrote:

> Layoffs wouldn't be a *natural* result. They would
> be a result of the
> Sam Walton's big corporation wanting to still return
> high profits for
> the shareholders. Wal-Mart never *has* to lay off
> anyone. They *choose* to.

I think it's pretty simplistic, and maybe a little
misleading, to say they *choose* to lay people off.
They make decisions.  They have to cut costs
somewhere.  The little guy makes the same dicisions.
They might be more prone to bite the bullet and keep
the faithful employee, but then it becomes quite
possible that he has just put his business' existence
in jeopardy because he can't afford to stay open.

Either way, the result is the same.  Good folks in
Americana who need jobs get laid off.

Surely you aren't naive enough to suggest that your
local small businessman doesn't want/need to make a
high profit also.  I've worked for him.  He was a
money grabber.  Now I work for a chain.  My job is
much more secure now.  This chain provides more jobs
with more security with higher pay and better
benifits, while offering products cheaper than the
local indepenent guy I used to work for.

Sorry, I'm just not buying this "local businessman
good...national chain bad" idea without any real
reason to do so.

I just gotta make a car payment!

Kelvin

=====
...like a mad dog on the far side of Dante's door.