Buy Stuff!!!

Well, normally I'd be the first to support "buy
nothing day", but not this year.  I work
part-time-seasonal at a retail establishment, and I've
got to say that out of 5 years, this is the out and
out slowest season we have ever had.  Customers are
just not spending much.  If that sales tax "vacation"
ever works out, it might help, but now it looks pretty
bleak.

I worked a total of 6 whole hours this week, when last
year I worked over 20 a week (and this is in addition
to my normal real job.) So, on behalf of other poor
retail workers, please buy stuff this holiday season.

If you must, avoid the national chains and "Corporate
America", but please patronize your locally-owned
retail businesses.  Be thrifty, but be confident and
purchase the things you need and want.  No-one would
benefit from boycotting the store where I work (maybe
Sam the owner will make a few less bucks, but he will
then have less money to spend on his car collection.)

In other words, if you stop buying stuff from smaller
businesses, the people who work there will have less
money to buy stuff!!!  Also, the companies we buy
stuff from will be hurt.  And I will be out of a job.

This says nothing about large retail businesses and
their impact on the country and the economy as a
whole, that's a whole different ballgame.  I have no
real problem boycotting them, I just won't be doing it
this year.

Just my three cents,
-Alyssa, who will be buying stuff this season