Re: moth

Wow....  Good question.  According to MY liner notes, though, the third line
is "if I were to take your place tonight"

OK, here's where I get down and dirty and finally throw my hat in the ring
over something that counts.  This is just what it means to me, of course,
but here goes.

The first two lines here just blow me away because I've often said that if I
could have one super-power or psychic gift it would be the ability to allow
people to see themselves as I see them.  SO many people have no clue how
beautiful, gifted and amazing they are.  So this lyric speaks to me about
that, but it's different in the context of the song, as well.  Maybe the
subject doesn't see the lack in themselves, or the...  hmm... how do I put
this...  the need for a flame, perhaps?  And the writer knows that need so
well from his/her own point of view that she wants to reflect it back, so
the subject can realize it...?

The second two lines (if I were to take your place tonight, wouldn't Jesus
be surprised) ties back into the chorus for me, saying that if the writer
were to take the subject's place, that would be truly unselfish sacrifice
(or at least an act of genuine compassion), something that Jesus sees so
seldom it's bound to be a bit shocking.  Especially coming from someone who
describes themself as a "burning moth without a flame".....?

OK, I could go on longer cuz this is one of my favorite tunes, but that's
basically the gist of what I get....

Jeff