The History of Woot

First there was this in response to my request
for The History of Woot:

>  Her High-wootines Ysobelle at aol_com wrote:
>
> > Ohhh, no. Not yet. I'm far too amused by the
> > theories, conjectures,
> > hypotheses and proposals

And then this:

> :{)}
>
> i remember explaining this one to Karin
> backstage
> after the last taylor u. show. it was quite
> amusing!
>
> as to the definition... i agree, it's far too
> satisfying seeing the theories fly. let's do
> let them
> think awhile on it, my sweet.
>
> wooty woot!
>
> binky bink!

And finally this:

> [...]
>
> In a country hamlet, far from the watchful eyes
> of the Doges, lived a young
> girl who longed to see the world.  "All I need
> is everything", she mused to
> herself one June afternoon while wandering
> through the forest.  She came upon a
> small stream, in which she paused to splash her
> feet.  Then out of the forest
> came an old crone, her back bent with decades
> of work, but her eyes bright with
> the wisdom of experience.  The crone asked the
> girl what would make her happy
> with herself, and the girl replied "to fly far
> from here, to dance among the
> stars, and see all there is to see."  The crone
> cackled, but not unkindly, and
> told the girl to swim down; her answers lay at
> the bottom of the pool.  "What
> pool?" asked the girl, "this is but a stream."
> "It's never quite what it
> seems", replied the crone, suddenly wistful,
> before she abruptly spun round and
> disappeared into the forest.
>
> The girl eyed the creek bed skeptically,
> wiggling her toes in the sand, when
> she felt the support give way beneath them.
> Her balance lost, she toppled
> forward and fell into the impossibly deep
> waters below the surface.  She fell
> for a long time, but oddly felt no need to
> breathe.  "If I'm drowning", she
> thought, "this is not how I imagined it."  All
> was dark, but she thought she
> saw sparks of light at the corners of her eyes.
>  Suddenly she was surrounded by
> a symphony of light: swirling clusters of stars
> in massive spirals whirled
> around her.  Music filled her ears with the
> harmonies of voices twined in song.
> She reached out to touch these sensations
> around her, and just as she felt
> something brush her fingers, sending a shiver
> through her entire body, all the
> light and sound went rushing away, as if she
> were falling from a great height.
> But her fingers still glowed with the dust from
> the heavens.  She drifted off
> into the darkness of sleep.  The last thing she
> heard was a soft whisper upon
> the night, and she thought it sounded like
> "woot".
>
> She awoke in her bed, and although nothing had
> changed, everything was
> different.  Colors more vibrant, textures more
> rich, life seemed to have more
> possibilities.  She whispered, "I will
> remember", as she noticed her fingers
> still glowed, so she carefully rubbed the dust
> into a small pearl box, which
> she always kept with her to remind her.  People
> noticed the change in her, and
> when she was especially delighted, she would
> cry out, almost inadvertently,
> "woot!"  When people asked what it meant, she
> would smile enigmatically, and
> say "It's in my pocket."
>
> So the scribes say, and so my father told me,
> and so I tell you.  Perhaps it
> was never meant to be shared, and there are
> certainly those who will scoff,
> but there are also those who will catch the

To which I say, I thoroughly enjoy the theories
and hypotheses -- but I *still* want to know The
History of Woot ... eventually. It is indeed too
much fun to read these.

Jeff McCloud
teamccloud at yahoo_com