RE: Re The Puritan view of sexuality

Title: RE: Re The Puritan view of sexuality

>> Shakers.   This sect didn't believe in sex at all.  Their "fold" was
>> supposed to be made of 100% new blood since they didn't believe in
>> procreating.  It just never appealed to the masses and they
>all finally died.

Why total celibacy didn't appeal to the masses, I'll never understand.

>I believe there are about five or six of them left, unless
>they've died in the
>last few years.  The Shakers used to do a lot of work with
>orphans, and many of
>those kids used to stay with the collective

Yes my understanding is that these orphans were "assimilated" into the collective.  As word of the collective spread far and wide, another collective of non-breeding assimilators came for them and they now fly around in large metallic cubes saying things like "resistance is futile"