a beautiful autumn night

for me, there's something about over the rhine that i
will always associate with autumn.  maybe it's because
my first show was at moonlight gardens on a cool
september night.  maybe it's because i played GDBD
endlessly for the months right after it.  so when i
saw that karin and linford were going to be in my
current neck of the woods on an october evening, i
knew i had to be there.  and knowing it was at an
intimate venue like brady's only added to my
excitement.  luckily, i wasn't disappointed.

first, a set list, since, while skimming the digests i
didn't see one (my apologies if there was):

latter days
bothered
ain't it crazy*
little blue river
anything at all*
world can wait
if nothing else
green clouded swallowtail*
faithfully dangerous
ohio*
poughkeepsie
orphan girl*
jack's valentine
now i know*
___________
rhapsodie (w/intro)

(songs with * are unreleased numbers, though some
we've heard many times in concert)

i arrived at brady's around 6:30.  God smiled upon me
and allowed me the privilege of helping karin and
linford out with their merch table.  when i got there,
they were sitting at the tables, karin talking to kim
taylor and linford playing chess with an older
gentleman in the corner.  i didn't feel i should
interrupt his conversation, so i sat down and waited
for some friends to arrive.  so around seven i
approached linford, introduced myself, and he
graciously thanked me and then said he'd show me the
ropes in a bit.  that's one of the things i appreciate
about otr - they don't mind mingling with us
commoners.

anyway, to get to why you're reading (other than the
fact that you obviously have way too much time on your
hands).  at almost exactly 8:00 kim taylor began to
sing.  i have to agree with some of the others on the
list - she does have a certain "karin quality" to her
voice, though i'd be hard pressed to actually pinpoint
what that is.  i really enjoyed her set.  i felt bad
she didn't have cds to sell, 'cause i got the feeling
she would have sold a few that night.  but lots of
people signed up for her mailing list, so hopefully
that will help her out.

and then a bit after nine, karin and linford came out.
i thought perhaps i hadn't seen jack because he was
across the street partaking of some spirits before the
show, but i'm guessing his new little one is keeping
him busy and the trek to kent was a bit much.  more
power to him.  from the moment karin sang "what a
beautiful piece of heartache," i knew this was going
to be an emotional show.  i stupidly remained seated
during this number (the merch table was at the back)
so didn't see karin, but i could tell from the emotion
in her voice that this song was hitting home.  she
even didn't sing a couple of lines.  this has been an
emotional time for most people in this country, and
doubly so for karin.  i am amazed at her ability to
carry on and to provide comfort and joy for others
when i'm sure she's hurting as well.

back to the music.

one of the great things about seeing otr in concert is
you never know what songs you're going to get, much
less what version of a song you'll hear.  and karin
and linford work so well together.  i loved hearing
them rock out this past spring, but friday, their show
was perfect for the intimate setting of brady's
(speaking of which, i highly recommend their chicken
quesidillas.  mmmmmm).  i especially enjoyed
faithfully dangerous and the new tunes (ain't it crazy
and ohio).  and i was ecstatic when they started
jack's valentine.  it was my first experience seeing
linford sing it.  the first time i heard it live,
karin sang, and the second, leo kottke sang.  and then
they stopped doing it for a while.  it was well worth
the wait.

the only downer for the evening was i didn't get to
meet more listies.  i said hi to melissa. and got to
work the table with katie, which was great fun (next
time we'll definitely have to snag one of those
brownie sundaes that kept walking by).  but i had no
idea who anyone else was.  i kept looking at people
and wondering if they were someone i'd read online.
maybe next time i'll tattoo something on my forehead.
the joys of being an introvert.  so to those i met and
didn't know it, i'm glad i got to share the experience
with you.  and next time we'll have to not pass in the
night.

that's all.

=====