Re: jg and de-ratting

Amy Joy Eversole wrote:

> all of this planning and potlucking for december makes me
> sad--especially because i'm returning the the u.s. five freakin' days
> after the taft show!  would it have been too much trouble to have booked
> the taft for one short week later?

Tell me about it! Ever since I moved to San Francisco from Chicago, I
been feeling the same thing... My wife and I are flying back to the
midwest for Christmas TWO DAYS after the Taft show...

Besides Shelley, who I know lives out here somewhere, are there any
Northern California/Pacific Northwest listees?

>  i may be considered liberal by some, or a
> peacenik idealist, but i do happen to believe in showing some basic
> respect to others as human beings.

Two hips and a hooray for liberal peacnick idealists!
(Or should I say WOOT!)

> maybe i'm cynical because i come from a city where the police shoot tear
> gas and rubber bullets into peaceful protests on a semi-regualr basis,
> or because i work in child protective services when i'm in the u.s.

You know, I get tempted to call myself cynical for largely similar
reasons, but I don't actually think it's cynicism at work. I'm not sure
that a desire for justice and a yearning for peace and love to reign in
the world is cyncism. I'd like to think it's a particular kind of
courage that allows someone to live in the oppulence and affluence of
our nation and still be able to see that the world is *not* just, and
that eveything isn't hunky-dory with our country. All of my heroes had
that quality: Jesus, MLK Jr., Ghandi, Fr. Daniel Berrigan, Thomas
Merton, Malcolm X...
Don't call your desire for people to be loving and just cynicism-- you
do yourself and your admriable goal a disservice. :)

 -John