Linford; Beauty and The List

Linford wrote:
>>When any of us encounters beauty, we
>>subconsciously dream of a more perfect world, the door is flung wide on new
>>possibilities that we can't yet imagine, we breathe more deeply and wonder
if
>>we have more to offer than we know.

This is quite possibly one of the most eloquent statements of a belief that
I've ever heard.  It is, in 50 words or less, the reason I do SO enjoy Over
the Rhine, and all that they produce.  Their works are, to my eyes and ears
and soul, beautiful, and provoke in me a response much like Linford describes
above.

That's why I joined the list.

I find the same beauty in the vistas of the Shenandoah Mountains, to which I
ran on my free days after the tragedy, as there are no planes or skyscrapers
there.  It was quiet and green.  There was no news.  There was only Creation.
 It was settling.  To reference the above quote, I could took deep breaths,
and I saw potential again.

I find a different beauty, but beauty nonetheless, in well-stated,
passionate-but-respectful discussions.  I am hearted by and enjoy debate as
it makes my own views more clear to me.  There are people here with whom good
conversation is possible.  People "using what God gave them," as my mother
would say.  Strong, intelligent, thoughtful people with a diverse range of
backgrounds, beliefs and daily occupations, offering new and different ideas
about a wide range of topics.   I see Creation in it.  I see possibilities I
would not otherwise see.

That's why I've stayed on the list.

I was one, I think, of the first and most vocal opponents of Chris Emery's
statement.  My reaction, as most who followed the discussion might remember,
was much like Linford's.  I was sickened and outraged, to use Linford's
terms.... and, not having to worry about public opinion, said so.

I learned a bit from the responses I received.  And I've learned a bit more
from reading the band's perspective of the situation.

I clearly don't have their perspective: I have no form of liability whatever,
real or presumed, for the statements made here.  I have only my
semi-anonymous self to represent, not a mission or a business or a group or
my way of life.   I can't possibly presume to know what's best for the band;
to be fair, we do probably make LOUSY marketing material.

That said, I wouldn't much like to see the content/composition/format of this
list change, even to exclude statements such as Mr. Emery's.

I'm rarely an optimist, but in this case, I think we've done a fairly good
job of 'policing' ourselves.  People who make objectionable statements are
confronted by those who are offended.  People more to the middle of any given
debate tend to 'moderate' by offering moderate opinions.  Heated debates tend
to taper off as people agree to disagree, or simply give up the fight.
Hopefully people clarify their own internal views by participating, or even
just observing.

Kelvin's comments on faith provoked a response from me; but it belonged
off-list, as it was too far afield to continue here, so that's where I sent
it.   We as a group, I think,  do try to take things that become private
conversations off-list.

Ysobelle's death penalty statements are a better example.  I had nothing to
contribute on the topic, but, boy, did she make me think!

I agree with Linford on this as well: this list can be a cold cold place...
but when I accused the people here of being heartless (and I really DID mean
to change that subject line, as it was the first, most impassioned reaction I
had, and didn't really accurately represent what I was trying to say...) I
received a number of warm, semi-apologetic expressions of concern.  I
appreciated that.  I appreciated the analysis someone offered that this
cold-ish intellectual debate format is the best way some of us have to
express what we're feeling, when we're not entirely sure WHAT we're feeling.

As far as I can see, few people attack one another outright (and perhaps one
could point to my condemnation of Mr. Emery is a notable exception (although
I still prefer to think of it as a sort of righteous indignation)).... for
the most part, ideas are bandied about, concepts and 'big picture' issues are
discussed.  We're reaching for things out of our grasp.  We're not letting go
of God, we're just losing our grip, as someone relevant around here put it
once, perhaps.  Maybe our exercises here are just efforts to get a grip?

Yes, much of our conversation has nothing directly to do with who or what OTR
are or do... but it IS the result of a gathering of minds who appreciate
creative and intellectual beauty.  I certainly wouldn't want to speak for
anyone but myself, but that's what *I* get out of this un-moderated list.

All of this said, I'd still love to start getting OTR newsletters with
doodles and Linford's actual handwriting again.  That was always sheer
delight.   ;)

My thoughts... FWIW.
Anita