Re: Suggestion.

Lawlor, Barry wrote:

> "Or should we have a moderator?"
>
> Have we come to the point where we as adults can't "moderate" our own
> feelings and be responsible in what we say?  I guess this group has.  It
> saddens me that this list will be "dividing" because of this event.  OTR to
> me represents unity and community (the first list I have been on, and the
> only list I have stayed on...because of the great discussions).

It doesn't have to be about that. See, there are two different issues.
One is the Chris-Emery-uncalled-for-comment issue; the other is the
general issue regarding the fact that, in general, the list doesn't
discuss OTR content, and that when anyone does try to include OTR
content, few people respond.
Now that suggestes two things to me: 1. Some of us are people who like
to disucss anything and everything, and who enjoy engaging with others
in the realm of ideas. That's the sign of a *healthy* community. BUT, it
isn't what this list is for. This list is for people to discuss OTR and
related matter.
2. That there are a large amount of "lurkers" who remain silent and
don't post, and that arguably a good percentage of them don't post
because, as will happen naturally in any group, and will happen to a
more pronunced degree in a text-based group like this one, those members
of the group who are communicators by nature tend to overshadow those
who are not. Again, there's nothing *bad* about that, but it isn't
necessarily what the OTR list is for.
It would be like we all went to a church and proceeded to talk baseball
during the Lord's Prayer. A healthy community can still be unaware of
its context. Linford's letter suggested that people officially involved
in the band have been uneasy about the way the list has been going for
quite some time.

Linford's letter *also* hinted at the band instituting a moderator. I
don't think we need to make them do that, but we are not moderating
ourselves in any way right now, and I think that is because the two
functions of the group (talk about OTR/ talk about other stuff) are in
conflict. Splintering off to another board doesn't mean we lose
anything-- it means that the natural, healthy, orgnanic process of
community-bulding can go on in both places, each place toward its own
end. Those of us who like to post on non-OTR content can without causing
further embarrasment and frustration to the band.

I doubt if we just all agree to tone it down, that it'll stay that way.
Some of us naturally are inclined to discussion and debate and if we
provide ourselves a forum, we can meet the needs of both groups. I also
think that it'll keep the band from having to intervene, something
they'd probably rather not do, and it might save them the trouble of
picking and paying someone to monitor us. Sure, it'll be a change, but I
think it'll be a change for  the better.

-John

--
In the electoral campaign, President Bush named as the most important

  -  Slavoj Zizek, "Welcome To The Desert Of The Real II: Reflections on
WTC"