RE: war...

On Wed, 10 Oct 2001, Michael Cade wrote:

> > Investigation and evidence.  Innocent until proven guilty.
>
> Interesting concept, but if someone in your family was in the WTC that
> day, my guess is you would feel differently.

Why would you guess that?  The last thing *I'd* want is to put myself in a
position where I could be accused of running off half-cocked and making
the situation worse, just because somebody hurt my family and wounded my
pride.  I'd want justice, yes, but you can't have justice by acting
unjustly and making it easier to be unjust in the future.

> Innocent till proven guilty theories I don't believe took into account
> terrorism.  It's a nice phrase also but it isn't even in effect in
> America.  If you are accused of committing murder (again only accused)
> what do you think your chances are of getting out on bail?

There's a big difference between detaining someone as a suspect and
killing someone on the off chance that they're the one you're looking for.

> Some one else mentioned that it is only WASP males that argue for
> profiling.

FWIW, I *have* come across at least one Arab-American pundit who said
profiling may be called for.