re: political/social music referal

On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Rhonda Hunt-Conklin wrote:

> Rhonda Hunt-Conklin wrote:
> > I was wondering if some of you may have suggestions
> > about bands who are political/have a political
> > message to their music, such as Rage Against The
> > Machine, U2, Midnight Oil, etc. I'm just looking
> > to get into some new music.
>

> I'd also like to recommend "Ballydowse"...they raise
> some very interesting questions...a "thinking band",
> most definately. They live at JEPUSA, here in Chicago,
> their e-mail address is "www.diamante.com" and they're
> on "Grrr recordS"...hope you enjoy!

Ballydowse _is_ fabulous.  However, if you are not a fan of hard-edge
Celtic/tribal rock, you might wish to try the more folkish/Celtic/tribal
Madison Greene.  Both of them come from Christian roots and are unabashed
in this way.  They have a challenging sound, both in music and in
ideas.  I really recommend checking out Ballydowse's _Court of Miracles_,
a website off of the main cornerstonemag.com's pages that is devoted to
worldwide social justice (especially in the middle east - good articles on
many of the central conflicts there that are very non-traditional
Christian.

I _really_ enjoy Madison Greene.  Their way with audiences is fabulous,
and their youthful zeal is exuberant to bathe in.  A moment in one of
their shows where the lead singer yelled out, "Let's build some
community!", and started an instrumental jam that reached out and felt
like it bonded the entire audience into one beautiful kinetic instrument
of praise and joy...wow.

On a more liberal bent, I also really am fond of Fred Small, a folk singer
who travels the nation.

-Drew J

O ^ ^     Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew     )
O(_|_) Tengo gusto de comer creyones. -Elian Gonzales, 4/27/00, goats.com  X
O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) & goats.com (drew at goats_com)  |