Re: "My Momma Sami..."

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Rhonda Hunt-Conklin wrote:

> > Well, the question of whether or not America was founded on the
> > principle of "In God We Trust" is an essentially factual one, and the
> > claim that it *was* founded on that principle is either right or
> > wrong.  So on that level, yeah, I wasn't talking about spiritual or
> > emotional stuff.
>
> Can you atleast see where I'm coming from?

I think so, but even so, in general, I would question the degree to which
America was founded on religious principles, let alone Christian ones.

> > But the other bit ... well, I may have jumped the gun there, and if
> > so, I do apologize.  "May the forces of evil be broken by your power"
> > sounded, to my ears, like the prayer was making a link between God's
> > power and the American military's power, and that *does* kinda get
> > into spiritual or emotional stuff.  But I can see how I might have
> > misconstrued that.
>
> See...I wasn't thinking about the military...I was asking God to "break
> the forces of Evil"...not just "their" Evil but "our" Evil, as well.

Okay, and once again, although it wasn't clear to me that that was what
you meant, I do apologize for assuming what I assumed.

> None of us are innocent...but could you still leave my friends alone,
> please? Talking about "God" is like walking on eggshells with some of
> them, which is why I try to wait upon the Holy Spirit's direction in
> sharing Him with them...your "rebuttal" confused the message I was
> trying to send. I'm afraid that they'll see it as "after all of this
> Christians STILL can't get along! What a joke!"

Well, frankly, anybody who expects Christians to agree on everything is
clearly looking for the wrong thing.  I think we *can* get along, whatever
our disagreements might be, and FWIW, the last signal I want to send to
*my* non-Christian friends is that it's okay for Christians to act and
talk as though the country somehow belonged to them.

> Think before you pass judgement and call me a liar to my friends.

I don't recall calling you a "liar".  Quite frankly, if *I* was passing on
erroneous information, I'd want someone to correct *me*.