Re: "My Momma Sami..."

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Kelvin Bailey wrote:

> ummm...If I might be so bold as to play mediator here, I believe there
> is maybe a slight misunderstanding between you (Peter) and her (Rhonda).
> I don't think when Peter is speaking of "truth" that he is meaning the
> spiritual/emotional stuff behind the forward.  I believe he is instead
> referring to the origin of the forward.  I say this because I made a
> similar mistake based on this misunderstanding earlier.
>
> Hope that helps...

Well, the question of whether or not America was founded on the principle
of "In God We Trust" is an essentially factual one, and the claim that it
*was* founded on that principle is either right or wrong.  So on that
level, yeah, I wasn't talking about spiritual or emotional stuff.

But the other bit ... well, I may have jumped the gun there, and if so, I
do apologize.  "May the forces of evil be broken by your power" sounded,
to my ears, like the prayer was making a link between God's power and the
American military's power, and that *does* kinda get into spiritual or
emotional stuff.  But I can see how I might have misconstrued that.