Re: "My Momma Sami..."

On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Rhonda Hunt-Conklin wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Sep 2001, Rhonda Hunt-Conklin wrote:

> > > Whatever. First of all, this was sent to me by someone who did not
> > > believe in God before 9/11 and has since sought Him out due to the
> > > tragedy and the need for comfort. I was attempting to send it to
> > > those who I thought would find comfort in it . . .
> >
> > I can appreciate that.  But if I'm going to be comforted, I would
> > prefer to be comforted by the truth.  (And as disturbing as the truth
> > can be sometimes, I'd like to think it is *also* comforting at times.)
>
> Apparently you feel as though you have dibs on what "Truth" is . . .

Then it appears wrong to you.  One thing I *do* know is that a falsehood
cannot be the truth.  So even if none of us knows what the truth *is*, we
can at least get a handle on some things that the truth is *not*.

And, obviously, I don't have dibs on this stuff -- that is why I post
links to my sources.  If you haven't done the research yourself, then the
least I can do is try to point out where you can start doing so.

> I may not have written the forward the way it was written, had I the
> opportunity, but I believe that the message was "PRAY!".

Fair enough.

> Is that not Truth?

Well, it's an exhortation, at any rate.

> The forward was not perfect, nor am I. The most important thing, I
> believe, is that my motives were right and they were backed with Prayer.

Sorry, but you know what the road to hell is paved with, yes?

> I would appreciate it if you addressed my forward here, on the list, not
> send your disection of my attempt to comfort to EVERY person I attempted
> to comfort.

Well, when an error needs correcting, I tend to send the correction to
everyone who got the error.  Lies can get halfway 'round the world while
the truth is still putting its boots on, and all that.

> You have no idea what kind of disheartening you may have caused. These
> are people who need to know that God is with us whether you think the
> forward was "truth", or not.

Then tell them that, and be careful not to say anything that might cause
more harm down the road.  Yes, believe it or not, telling Americans that
their way is God's way, no matter what they do, *can* cause harm.