Re: Miami Herald

--- "Peter T. Chattaway" <petert at interchange_ubc.ca>
wrote:

> What, you think it's "cowardly" to train for months
> and capture a plane
> and fly it into certain death, all in the service of
> a higher cause?

You tell me which is more cowardly: to use people and
planes as weapons, pull off a huge hit and run
mission, then hide in the bushes/sand and deny
responsibilty

or

To say This is who I am.  For these reasons we are
about to hurt you, unless...
And then after the fact say 'Yes, this is who we are,
this is what we did, and this is why.'

I think the first one is the coward.

It sounds to me like the people who say
> this are speaking out
> of wounded pride -- to assert their own bravery,
> they must put down their
> enemy and try to shame their enemy -- but it just
> rings hollow to me.

I think they shamed themselves.  I'm sorry you don't
see that.

> > > Especially since Jesus trumped those cards in
> his teachings, anyway.
> > > I don't hear much along the lines of "love those
> who hate you" and
> > > "turn the other cheek" coming from my national
> leaders right now.
> >
> > do you really think christ was talking about
> something of this mammoth
> > proportion here?
>
> <Yoda> Size matters not. </Yoda>  Christ *was*
> talking about politics and
> revolution and occupying forces and imminent warfare
> between nations.

And where did you get this?  In my Bible it is part of
the 'Sermon On the Mount'.  Christ was speaking to his
disciples about how to treat and deal with their
enemies.  It's smack dab in the middle of taking oaths
and loving your enemies.  It has nothing to do with
warfare and governments.  That would be a huge
extrapolation.

> True, but at the same time, mere punishment isn't
> the answer.  There has
> been a movement afoot in the last few years called
> "restorative justice",
> which aims to bring some manner of reconciliation
> between victim and
> criminal, where possible.  That's a model worth
> following, though I
> haven't a clue how it could be applied to our
> present situation.

I don't disagree with this sentiment.  However, I
think that after a time the reality sets in that
certain people/peoples don't want to be restored.  I
think it's naive to think that these people are good
at heart and will come around with a little reasoning.
 Suppose we try this and it doesn't work.  THen what?

Raise your hand if you too wish you had the magical
solution for all this.  It is an important discussion.
 God bless us all!

Kelvin

=====
Willy Wonka: "You know what happened to the man who suddenly got everything he ever wanted?"
Charly: "No. What?"
Willy Wonka: "He lived happily ever after."