Re: Miami Herald

On Wed, 19 Sep 2001, Troy M Miller wrote:
> "Peter T. Chattaway" wrote:

> > What, you think it's "cowardly" to train for months and capture a
> > plane and fly it into certain death, all in the service of a higher
> > cause?
>
> I think it comes from the perception that they attacked civilians
> instead of military, and with no forewarning.

Fair enough, though they *did* attack the military, at the Pentagon.

> > Just wondering, what do you do with America's use of the atom bomb in
> > World War II?
>
> Well, just 'cuz we did it doesn't make it any less what it is, you know.
> ;)  But I think there you get into the "sacrifice the few to save the
> many" argument - but even aside from that, our countries were officially
> at war, so I don't think it's quite analogous.

Not quite, no.  But if your "standard" of warfare prohibits incinerating
everyday civilians, then I think America violated that standard there.

> FWIW, I also think it took some level of guts to knowingly ram a plane
> with you in it into a big building, but at the same time didn't they
> believe that they were going to be highly rewarded in the afterlife?

Perhaps, but it still takes a lot of guts to act on a belief that is based
on what someone else has told you, without any evidence except *maybe* a
scripture or two.  At least, it would take a lot of guts for *me*.