Re: Miami Herald

"Peter T. Chattaway" wrote:

> What, you think it's "cowardly" to train for months and capture a plane
> and fly it into certain death, all in the service of a higher cause?

I think it comes from the perception that they attacked civilians
instead of military, and with no forewarning.

> Just wondering, what do you do with America's use of the atom bomb in
> World War II?

Well, just 'cuz we did it doesn't make it any less what it is, you know.
;)  But I think there you get into the "sacrifice the few to save the
many" argument - but even aside from that, our countries were officially
at war, so I don't think it's quite analogous.

FWIW, I also think it took some level of guts to knowingly ram a plane
with you in it into a big building, but at the same time didn't they
believe that they were going to be highly rewarded in the afterlife?
Some have said "70 virgins" and stuff, but my understanding of that area
of Islamic (if that's even what it is) doctrine is quite fuzzy.

Troy