Re: What Would Jesus Do?

On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Black Draver wrote:

> Bob the dancing monkeh, Drew sed:
>
>  >Ok, again we come back to the fact that some of us are Christians, and
>  >some of us aren't.  This sort of discussion is uninteresting to some,
>  >fascinating to others, and downright annoying to the rest.  Is this
>  >really the place for this discussion?
>

> So, then, what we're implying is that anyone who wants to can say
> whatever they want to in a passing, hurtful, negative way and let that
> be the definitive statement to the list on the subject? That we allow
> no other thoughtful non-reactive statements to be included?  Is this
> what you're implying?

Hmm.  no.  not quite.  I'm just tryin' to figure out when and where is the
proper time for discussion of belief as injected into e-mail
discussion.  I've begun to believe that _any_ such discussion does not
work well.  It's not that I don't believe that minds can't change over
e-mail, but I do feel that the whole process of living one's beliefs does
not reflect well in plain ascii.  Sharing world views is great, but there
comes a time at which point you have to throw up your hands and scream
'Peace!'

Put more bluntly, I sometimes see e-mail flame wars over beliefs and the
ideas put forth as something about as valuable as learning last night's
Texas Rangers' scores - really interesting to look at, but it doesn't
generally change a lot.  It can - I've just found that it does not tend
to.

> And I do understand you're just throwing it out there as the D.A. ;)

Maybe a little bit...

Pax,
-Drew J

O ^ ^     Drew Johnson - djohnson at snowplow_org - Ld Robert Bartholomew     )
O(_|_) Tengo gusto de comer creyones. -Elian Gonzales, 4/27/00, goats.com  X
O Check out splat.melm.org (monkey at melm_org) & goats.com (drew at goats_com)  |