Re: re:Falwell and Robertson blame gays and liberals for WTC Attack

Hey guys,

As far as this "punishment for evil" discussion goes, the Bible I read makes it very clear that evil is punished with destruction.  Not a popular philosophy for the cultural Christians.

I do see people's points though that Falwell's timing is not that great.  I truly don't trust the man just because he blinks too much--one true sign of a liar--and I'm sorry, but he smacks of contrived charisma.  I feel that either you have it or you don't.  No amount of faking it will suffice.  So the man *is* flawed.  So am I.  So is everyone else.  Big deal, right?  Well, some people don't think so.

One thing I've learned from telling lies all my life, is that the truth hurts.  When my mom tells me that I shouldn't drive too fast, I hate it, but I know deep down that speed kills.  I like driving fast, so I don't think about the other stuff.  I'm in control.  If I pass everyone on the road then I have power.  What I want matters.  To me.  Selfishness is evil.  Nothing I can do in my life matters unless I do it for God--also not a popular philosophy with today's cultural Christians.

One thing you get if you read the Bible is that when something bad happens, God's phrophet is always there saying turn from your evil ways.  Most of the time "he's" not very popular among the cultural Christians of the day.  Most of the time "he's" not even taken seriously.  Truth hurts.  Most of God's phrophets are ostracized, retaliated against, or worse.  Jeremiah was put into prison, thrown into exile, attempts were made to take his life.  He spent 40 years taking nothing but flack.

What if Jerry is our Jeremiah?  Something to think about as we contemplate all the things that really bother us.

-)v(

Follow-Ups: References: