Re: impressionistic ramble

hi all :)

> > They're isolated and insular, and the mass of
> people there know only
> > what their government tells them. If they're told
> we're evil, raised to
> > think we're evil, then of course they're happy
> when we suffer. We know
> > far more about them, I'd be willing to bet, than
> they do about us. And
> > that's not saying much.
>
> I dunno, this sounds almost racist to me.  The
> assumption seems to be that
> Arabs never think for themselves, never doubt their
> government, never
> question what they've been told --

regarding the actual masses in those countries, i
don't think being ignorant of others couldn't subsist
within the average human experience of questioning
etc.  they might question a lot of things.  that
doesn't mean they have access to many answers.

 whereas Americans
> supposedly do all of
> these things.  (Did Russians believe everything
> *their* government told
> them, back in the Soviet era?  I doubt it.  Why
> would we assume Arabs are
> any more gullible?)

yeah but maybe we should take into account the general
fear you'd live under in these other countries.
questioing has a much higher price--worse is acting on
that questioning.  americans don't worry about their
loved ones being taken away by people in uniform for
"no reason."  i know that theoretically we could get
into that, but i'm talking about the practical, daily
realities.  that kind of fear and oppression is not my
daily reality.

> What concerns me more is the way they're threatening
> to execute
> Christians, basically just for being Christians.

this isn't much of a threat: more of a reality
actually.  maybe it's now official.  but it's not new.

take care,
j. marie