Re: Do unto others

"J. Marie Hall" wrote:

> > replacable.  Kill them off without redressing the
> > systematic problems and there
> > will always be more dispossessed, disenfranchised,
> > and desparate people, and
> > there will always be clever and charasmatic people
> > able and willing to turn
> > that helplessness into action in exchange for power.
>
> > All I am saying that simple approaches and simple
> > answers are not going to
> > help in this, a very complex situation.
> >
> > Peace to all, and I pray for justice, not vengeance.
>
> i agree with your disgust of the simplistic assessment
> given verbally--but i kinda doubt the reaction will be
> _that_ simplistic.  perhaps it needs to be more
> complex than it indeed will be, but last night was
> more to comfort people i think.

Yeah, exactly.  George said just what his PR guy wrote for him, and the PR
guy wrote what America wanted to hear.

> i pray for justice and peace too.  we need a
> multidimensional approach to the problem, but i'd
> wager "stopping" the specific persons involved will be
> part of the execution of justice.

The problem is, we've been trying for a while.  And, as one guy on ABC put
it, you can't just infiltrate someplace like Bin Laden's group in a few
weeks, or even a few months.  It takes *years*.  They don't play by the
same rules as your average Hollywood movie, and over there our "American
military might" doesn't mean jack.  Many of them would love for us to come
over there so they could get a shot at killing an American, or die trying.

When you think about it, most of the population over there is being just
as reactionary and likely un/misinformed as the American public.  They
believe we're the enemy 'cuz that's what they've been told.  Some of the
things they blame us for are probably our fault.  Some of them not.
Either way, starting a war with them over this isn't going to solve
anything, IMHO.

Troy