Re: Last Night (OtR Review)

Hi all... just popping up to drop in a show-review-note; I went to the
Arlington VA show at Iota a few weeks ago (anyone else there?) and meant to
write a review and never got around to it ... but now that Bruce hit most of
the high points in his mail, I'll just add a few thoughts:

The Iota show was standing room only... small room, and absolutely packed
full.  I'd come right from work, so I got to hear them doing sound checks and
warming up and such (small beans, maybe, for those of you from Cinci who hear
them all the time, but great fun for us deprived coastal folk who don't get
such treats so often!)

After the show, I snitched (prolly should have asked...) Jack's set list...
it's not quite the same compilation of songs as Bruce listed, so here it is,
as scrawled:

Go Down E Z
Bothered
Jesus in N. O.  (what Bruce called "Last Time I Saw Jesus")
Green Clouded S.
I Radio Heaven
Little Blue River
Faithfully Dangerous
Orphan Girl
Curse These Dreams
Holy Rain
The World Can Wait
Ohio
Jack's Valentine
Miles
------------
Latter Days

...and they played Poughkeepsie as a second (and I think unexpected, as it's
not on the list) encore.. . they came back, saying "Wow", and Karin asked for
requests... it was nearly unanimous.

Jesus in New Orleans is a powerful song, in my opinon.  Bits of it have been
winging my way around my brain in occasional quiet moments, and I can't wait
to have a recording of it... the chorus ends something along the lines of
"Ain't it crazy what's revealed
when we're not looking all that close...
Ain't it crazy how we put to death
those we need the most."

I wasn't too keen, personally, on Green Clouded Swallowtail, but I loved
Linford's little story about where it came from.  Inspiration is everywhere.
:)

They were all smiles, it seemed, and (perhaps this is just from my limited
opportunities to see them play) appeared to be having the time of their
lives.

Digressing a bit, I like Linford's haircut... its far less artsy-melancholy
than the long drooping bit... and while that's a compelling look all it's
own, its perhaps better replaced (for now?) with a better-seen impish grin.

They chatted outside after the show and signed my copy of Grey Ghost
Stories... I wished I'd had my purchased-in-94 copy of Patience with me for
Karin to sign, but she smushed her name in under Linford's on GGS, anyway.
That CD is, btw, a delight.  Do buy it.

Must scoot...
Anita