Re: What does this mean for those who are hipsters?

On 8/15/01 9:09 PM, quoth the effervescent chadandkeisha at icehouse_net at
chadandkeisha at icehouse_net:

>So anyway the real subject at hand is this:  Have any fellow listees heard
>of and/or appreciate Peter Murphy?  I just bought a double disc live album
>on a whim because I heard it playing when I was in the music store....I'm
>interested in another opinion.  Anyone?

Wow. Peter Murphy. The Grandaddy of Goth. Former lead singer for what was
perhaps the very first Goth band: Bauhaus. Just last night, I was
listening to the song they're probably best known for and which may be
the first major Goth song: "Bela Lugosi's Dead," which was hauntingly
showcased in "The Hunger."

But that was a long, long time ago.

I saw Peter live at the TLA last year and was utterly charmed. He put on
a wonderful semi-acoustic show, and it was just lovely. The crowd was
incredibly diverse. Peter himself was gracious and engaging, and instead
of an opening act, they showed a short B&W art film in which he starred.

He has a very quirky, intelligent, avant-garde-singer-songwriter kind of
style that's melodic, dramatic, and very listenable. Perhaps his
best-known solo song is "Cuts You Up," off 1990's "Deep." But as I said,
I very much enjoyed his show last year despite not recognising almost
anything.