Re: definitions/etymology (hit DELETE if this bores you)

> First of all, is it appropriate to use the word need in any sense other
> than that which is absolutely necessary.  For instance, is it correct
> usage to say "I need to get my car fixed" or "I need to make more
> money"?  Or can it only be used in the "I need oxygen" sense?

Need is a teleological concept, i.e., if you need something, it is always
to accomplish some sort of goal.  You need oxygen to live, you need to fix
your car if you are ever going to drive it again, you need to make more
money if you are ever going to be able to afford certain purchases.

So whether you need *any* of these things is really dependent on whether
you need to accomplish the various goals you've set for yourself.  And all
of this is dependent on whether you need to exist in the first place.