definitions/etymology (hit DELETE if this bores you)

I need some help from you linguistics experts out
there.  A little disagreement between myself and my
boss cries out for resolution.  It has to do with the
word 'need'.

First of all, is it appropriate to use the word need
in any sense other than that which is absolutely
necessary.  For instance, is it correct usage to say
"I need to get my car fixed" or "I need to make more
money"?  Or can it only be used in the "I need oxygen"
sense?

Secondly, if a dictionary entry for the word uses both
"requirement" and "want" in the same definition (i.e.
"a condition or situation in which something is
required or wanted") does the fact that "wanted" and
"required" both fall under definition 1. mean they are
being used synonomously, or are they both listed
because both meanings are equal in importance.

Any educated help is greatly appreciated.

Kelvin

=====
Time is precious
Talk is cheap