Update Letter from Linford

To: over-the-rhine-announce at actwin_com

From: OTRhine at aol_com

Subject: Update Letter from Linford

Hello fellow travelers,

A welcome breeze blew in yesterday evening. The trees waved goodbye to the
heat as things cooled down a bit. I love how they turn their leaves inside
out in expectation. This morning the world is grey and it looks as if the
rain could stay awhile.

I'm in the attic again. Later this morning, Karin and I will drive across
Indiana, into Illinois. We're playing an acoustic concert this evening in
Wheaton--a grand piano, a few guitars, a voice. We'll see what happens.

The year filled up and ran over. We're standing ankle deep in superfluous
life. And rising.

Here is the latest from the Imaginary Apple Orchard.

JULY 2001

The manufacturers have assured us that we will have the new instrumental CD
before the end of this month. We're a little nervous--it's getting close, but
I guess we'll take their word for it. I recorded the music at home, and if
you hear the record, I think you'll feel as if you were here, sitting at the
table, or poking through one of the bookshelves on the South wall upstairs.
As soon as we receive the CD's, I will sit down with pen in hand, and Stacie
will mail the signed and numbered copies out to those of you who ordered
copies in advance. For those that did not pre-order, we will post info later
in August about how to obtain copies.

The release date of the book has been pushed back to August 29th. When I
started working on the project earlier this year, I had wanted to collect
together some of my scraps of writing that had been lying about in
half-filled notebooks. When I was in the final stages of sifting and
gathering, I happened to see the sky out in Western Illinois, and the book
took an exit ramp without warning, pages fluttering throughout the car,
spilled coffee, and I began a new piece of writing which seems to want to
take over the lion's share of the space available. Finishing this new piece
became the focus of the project, and we are just now entering the production
phase. I've never done this book-thing before, but I can see that writing is
unpredictable and dangerous. Again, those of you who pre-ordered will receive
a signed, numbered copy, postage paid, as soon as we receive them. Everybody
else can look for more info later in August at overtherhine.com.

In the meanwhile, if you'd like to whet your appetite, I have an excerpt from
a memoir published in the current issue of Image magazine. I've been a fan of
this journal for years, and have managed to collect every issue they've ever
put out. It was a real honor for me to be included. If you'd like to order
the latest issue of Image, and see for yourself what feels like my first real
published piece of writing, you can go to www.imagejournal.org, and order
online. Many quality bookstores also carry the magazine.

In other news (I think Stacie already mentioned it), Karin will be sitting in
with Cowboy Junkies for a few dates on the West Coast later this month, a
working holiday:

7/29 Humphrey's, San Diego
7/30 John Anson Ford Theatre, Hollywood
7/31 House of Blues, Ventura
8/1 Late, Late Show w/Craig Kilborn (CBS)

You can check out cowboyjunkies.com for more info.

AUGUST 2001

Karin and Jack and I will be doing our own version of On The Road in August.
We're going to be playing material from Films For Radio and the earlier
records as a trio, as well as trying out some new songs for the first time.
There will be about 10 dates on this tour:

8/9  Beachland Ballroom, Cleveland OH
8/14 Iota Cafe, Arlington VA
8/16 Maxwells, Hoboken NJ
8/17 Mercury Lounge, NYC
8/18 Tin Angel, Philly PA
8/19 Middle East, Boston MA
8/22 tba, Richmond VA
8/23 Grey Eagle, Asheville NC
8/24 tba, Knoxville TN
8/25 Lynagh's, Lexington KY
8/26 Southgate House, Cinci OH

These shows will be more conversational, loose, unpredictable. A fair number
of the venues are new to us. Check the website for more info as the last few
dates are confirmed. Hope you can stop by and say hello.

SEPTEMBER 2001

Karin and I will be opening for Cowboy Junkies and joining them for their set
as well. We'll be posting the dates soon. A good number of them are in the
Southeast. The Calvin College date will be rescheduled.

OCTOBER, NOVEMBER 2001

We're off to Europe. More dates opening for and sitting in with Cowboy
Junkies. Films For Radio has been released in many European countries (a
first for us). We've sold more records in Paris than we have in Cincinnati!
This is our first extended tour of Europe. We hope to return often.

Karin and I got to fly Over the Rhine in Koln (Cologne) for the first time
last June. The Germans reminded us that the Rhine has long been considered a
source of inspiration for artists and poets, so there were definitely
additional layers of significance to the name in the Old World.

Et mon Dieu: Paris. There are no words for that first walk along the Seine
after dark. No words. If you haven't been to Paris, put her down on your list
of things to see before you die.

DECEMBER 2001

We'll be doing our Christmas tour once again with the band. The date of the
big Cincinnati show at the Taft is December 7. More dates will be posted at
the site when we get a little closer.

That's about it for now. I better go pack that tweed suitcase.

Dive into the deep end,

Linford