Re: A friend has recommended this site

>From: "Peter T. Chattaway" >
> > Anyway, I can see you didn't read past the title page, but I hope others
> > on this list find the testimony of people who have left this lifestyle
> > to be compelling, at least.  If it is indeed true, the "genetics"
> > argument is in trouble.
>
>Um, it is in no such thing.  Genes only *influence* your decisions -- you
>still have to actually decide to live a certain way.  And studies do
>indicate that genes influence a lot of things, from suicidal tendencies,
>to proclivities for crime or violence, to sexual orientation, etc.

Right, and Masters and Johnson concluded in studies that everyone is
homosexual to a varying extent.  Kurt Cobain sang about this.

Pete, (may I call you that?) you should realize that I am aware of the
influence of genes.  Again I ask, please give me some credit.  The point I
was getting at was the vibe I get from this whole gay position on genetics-
we were made this way and have no real choice.  It's in the blood, beyond
mere "proclivity".  98% nature, 2% nurture.  This idea is key, because it
makes it a race issue of sorts.  The Gay Rights Movement needs to convince
people of this fact, and then it can be (and is) regarded as the new Civil
Rights Movement.  Really, the whole campaign, with media assist, has been
executed flawlessly.  I digress.  The point is, a black man can't cast aside
his blackness, nor should he feel the need to, because it really is who he
is/in the genes.  However, if homosexuals can, via prayer and vigilance,
cast aside their homosexuality, well, the whole parallel begins to
deconstruct.  (Please note: these are my feelings based on observation, not
arguments, and are in no way meant to be derogatory.)

Actually, I think the Gay Rights Movement has learned a great deal from the
Civil Rights Movement, and I wish the church would do the same.  These
movements prove that, when a social or racial groups ban together and speak
with a unified voice, they are able to promulgate their ideas and are
clearly heard.  The church, splintered and divided, is losing it's voice,
and is increasingly so in the din that is the "information technology" age.
In this regard, the church stands to learn A LOT from the gay community.
(I'm certain we could learn other things too, like how to overcome
prejudices and really love others as Christ commanded.)

>As for people who have "left this lifestyle" -- it is open to question how
>many of them were gay, per se, and how many were closer to "bisexual" on
>the scale.

Is that the Masters and Johnson scale?  Anyway, why don't you go to the
CNLGLFG room at talkcity.com and ask them yourself?  (The party responsible
for my recent link.)  Those people could use a dose of your razor sharp
logic.  (No joke.  I'll tell you about it if you want.)

Matt