Re: Cornerstone dismay

In a message dated 7/19/01 8:45:18 PM Central Daylight Time,
fionaeval at yahoo_com writes:

<<  The closer we get to
 > finding our identity in him
 > the closer we get to being who we really were meant
 > to be all along.

 so our "original" identity is as god(s)????  help me
 out here...

 -j. marie

Buechner would put it (and I agree) that Jesus showed us, by his life, what a
fully human person is like. He was *more* human that anyone who ever walked
this tired earth in his serving God, loving others, sharing others pain, eyes
wide open to the world around him, etc.  We are all *botched and bedraggled*.
 A broken mirror that only reflects bits of the image we were meant to
reflect but he was a perfect mirror and when we emulate him we are emulating
what we were meant to be, as humans, all along.  We are discontented because
we were never really meant to be goats -- the goatlike things we do are not
really us.  We were meant to be something much grander, much more alive.
Alive like Jesus.  That's what he, as the Christ, gives the power to do.
Make us into tigers or perhaps -- wake the tigers in us...  Strip away all
our goaty habits that weren't really us in the first place so we can roar,
not bleat.  Not becoming God's (capital G) in *essence* but fully alive in
humanity -- like him.  I think I worded that right.  Pop it offlist if I
didn't.  My words have been known to wander...

see 1 John 3:2 and Phil 3:21 for starters

kevin

People can't be fixed, and they already have been.
Somewhere near the centre of this paradox lies
the mystery of faith in Christ.

Mike Riddell